Mayor Hull Provides Comments and Suggestions for City Budget
Mayor Gregg Hull has issued his comments and suggestions to the City Manager’s Recommended Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 Budget and Capital Program. The FY 22 budget spans from July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022.
“Based on the City’s unprecedented reserve levels and projected financial outlook, I am supporting more investments in personnel, public safety, economic development, road improvements, and quality of life,” Hull said. “At the same time, I am recommending that the City establish a Permanent Fund that will generate more funding for public service needs over time without a corresponding tax increase.”
Highlights from Mayor Hull’s budget message include:
- Support for seeking Charter Review Committee, Governing Body, and voter approval to establish a Permanent Fund utilizing $10 million in City reserves
- Raising the city manager’s recommendation for a cost-of-living adjustment for employees from 2% to 4% ($780,720)
- $235,000 in funding for two new entry-level police officer positions (including equipment and vehicles)
- Allocating $75,000 for an Affordable Housing Study
- $4 million to reconstruct/widen King Blvd (Wilpett Drive to Unser Blvd), including sewer line placement
- $700,000 to increase residential street crack patch and seal work
- Increase the amount available for future projects in the City’s Local Economic Development Fund by approximately $250,000
- Making available $50,000 for as needed economic development consultants and third-party services
- Support for $3 million to acquire, remodel, furnish and equip a Quality of Life Center (library and community center) in northern Rio Rancho, and $500,000 for its annual recurring costs (e.g., new personnel, utilities, etc.).
- Establishing a new reserve policy of always maintaining a minimum of 25%
Per the City’s Charter, the Mayor has between April 15-25 to review the recommended budget and capital program and submit written comments to the city manager. The recommended budget and capital program can be viewed by visiting www.rrnm.gov/FY22Budget
The Recommended FY 22 Budget and Capital Program will be reviewed by the Governing Body (Mayor and City Council) at a budget hearing on Friday, April 30 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. This meeting provides a venue for the Governing Body to ask questions of staff, propose and discuss budget amendments, and for the city manager to formally respond to Mayor Hull’s budget comments and suggestions. The budget hearing will take place virtually. This meeting will be streamed live and archived on the City’s website, and will be broadcast on the City’s Rio Vision government cable channel 56, which is available to Rio Rancho Sparklight subscribers.